History/Origins Of The Blythwood Estate

Blythwood Estate

In 1654 Colin Campbell, a land speculator acquired the lands of Renfield, formerly Ranfield, now known as Blythswood.

He had already purchased the Blythswood Estate in Central Glasgow at a cost of less than one farthing per square yard from the bankrupt Sir George Elphinstone.

That estate included Glasgow's famous Blythswood Square and Campbell altered the name of the estate at Renfrew to Blythswood.

The stately mansion of Blythswood House was built in 1820 by Major Archibald Campbell - the first Lord Blythswood.

It stood on a site facing north east within the present 15th hole of the new course. The mansion fell into ruin and was demolished in 1935.

First Golf Course On The Estate

The Paisley Gazette (3 Feb. 1896) reported,

"A new golf course at Blythswood is being formed by Lord Blythswood within his estate. It appears to be of considerable extent with 16 holes completed."

Modest in size compared to the present layout, Lord Blysthwood's course was never intended to be played on by anyone except the aristocracy, including royal visitors. The following were among those to be "wined and dined" at Blythswood House:

  • Sir Walter Scott (1827)
  • The Duke of Albany (1874)
  • King Edward and Queen Alexandra (1876)
  • Prince Leopold (1882)
  • Queen Victoria (1888)
  • King George V and Queen Mary (1907)


back...