History/Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria

View of the 6th Green The most notable guest was Queen Victoria who stayed at Blythswood on 22 August 1888 on the occasion of her visit to open the Municipal Buildings at George Square, Glasgow and visit the International Exhibition. Grandstands and ornamental arches were erected at Inchinnan Road, Hairst Street and Fulbar Street, in addition to special grandstands at the town hall to accommodate Councillors and dignitaries.

The Royal Burgh observed the visit as a general holiday and firework displays were held on the evenings of 22 and 23 August. Over the years Sir Archibald and Lady Campbell entertained other members of the Royal Family so there can be few houses with a more imposing record of royal visits than Blythswood House. It was unfortunate that the building had to be demolished.


back...